Monday, March 21, 2016

Reading Challenge Book 12: To The Roost

Y'all:


Book #12 took a little longer than the others, but it's a special case. I read a book that hasn't been published yet and kept a notebook full of feedback and suggestions. I'm proud to say that I'm one of the first people in the world to read this novel, written by my friend and coworker for the 2015 NaNoWriMo event.
I sat down to read this book with a mission. I knew when Cat wrote the book, and I realized that I was reading the first draft. My mission was to record thoughts, feedback, and suggested edits for Cat to use as she moved forward with this literary project.



BOOK 12
To The Roost: The Journey Begins
Cat Trites

This book is meant to be the first in a series (the cover calls it the first Blighted novel) of low-magic fantasy novels. The author does some wonderful world-building as the book goes on. She gives us geography, history, politics, creation myths, the works. Most of this information is interspersed throughout the text, but there are one or two times where characters purposely teach us about the world. Even in this early manuscript it is wonderfully done.

To The Roost follows two groups of characters. The first is the young King of the People, Jem, who must travel into the mountains in search of a safe place to move his people to. The second group is his younger sister, Naja, left behind in the city to act as Steward in his stead. Though the two narratives begin connected, over the course of the novel they diverge, setting events into motion that can only be resolved as the series continues. I, for one, am eager to know how certain things will play out.

I am thankful that I was asked to read this book at a time where I can offer feedback. I enjoyed To The Roost and look forward to seeing how it takes shape as Cat revises it and adds to it (in the form of subsequent novels).
___________________________________________________
THE ONE AND ONLY,
MAC III






No comments:

Post a Comment