Friday, April 22, 2016

Reading Challenge Book 15: The Killing Season

Y'all:


It took me entirely too long to read this book, but I blame that (mostly) on work. The next closest branch of my school suffered a catastrophic staffing issue, so my branch has been called upon to fill in the gaps. Add to that the recent "breakthroughs" I've made in the tabletop RPG I'm designing, as well as a couple of recent game drops I've been looking forward to, and I've had to carve up my free time a little differently of late.

So now I'm off track. I'm technically 2 weeks behind, which means I'll have to find a couple of shorter titles that are 1) 100 pages or so (no less, but not much more) and 2) fast reads. I have lots of time to make up for lost time, but I don't want to sit on this. Life has a way of piling up nonsense after nonsense after nonsense, and I truly do want to finish 52 books this year.


Funnily enough, The Killing Season was supposed to be a fast read to help me catch up after the last book took a little longer than I had anticipated. Yeah, that didn't happen!


BOOK 15
The Killing Season
Alex French

The Killing Season is a Kindle Single, the first one I have downloaded and read. It is a nonfiction story about the Benson murders that happened in Colorado and went unsolved for 35 years. As a work of nonfiction and a "true crime" story, this was another step away from my preferred genre of reading material, but I found it no less interesting to read.


I think what I enjoyed most was the level of detail that French provided throughout the text. It is clear that the author was intimately familiar with the details of the case and had done extensive research and collection of data. The result was a Kindle Single containing scenes where I felt like I was truly there, and some memorable narrative text that did not at all feel out-of-place beside the fact-driven sections of the story. It honestly read like watching Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

Though the case is now closed and a man has been found guilty of the crime (spoiler alert!), French leaves just enough wiggle room for those who doubt the decision to find a small space to stand.

___________________________________________________
THE ONE AND ONLY,
MAC III






No comments:

Post a Comment