Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reading Challenge Book 24: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Y'all:

I realize now that I don't have the exact dates written down for when I finished this batch of books. Sad, that. It's ok, though, because what's most important about the #52BooksIn52Weeks Challenge is to, well, read. My blog posts and perfectly-remembered details matter somewhat less than the journey itself.



J.K. Rowling with John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

I read this book along with one of my roommates, and we both agreed that it felt less like Harry Potter 8 and more like fanfiction. The overall premise is good, and there are some moments where the story shines, but...well, yeah. I will grant allowances based on the fact that this wasn't written by J.K. Rowling, that it's the script to a play (one I likely won't get to see, being I'm in Taiwan and all that), and that it's trying to follow up on the splendor of her seven-book saga.

For diehard Harry Potter fans, I think Cursed Child is a must-read. It isn't, in and of itself, a bad story. As a continuation of the beloved Harry Potter saga, though, it falls short. It fails to uphold the saga's legacy. I'm waiting for a few other people I know to be true-blue Potterheads to read it so I can have some discussions with them, but until then, well...I'll just have to accept it as it is.
___________________________________________________
THE ONE AND ONLY,
MAC III





No comments:

Post a Comment