Saturday, January 21, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge #02

Y'all:

I'm back with another quick update on my deviant reading habits. 


Six of Crows
Leigh Bardugo

Though my second #52BooksIn52Weeks challenge got off to a rocky start, it is back on track with this FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC book!


I've already written a little bit about this book on the blog I'm keeping with my roommate, which can be found here. So here I just go off on a tangent and ramble on a bit more about the book.

The cast of characters in this story is fantastic. Bardugo gives the reader reason enough to like each of the main characters, yet each is flawed. Hell, some of them are very un-likable, which makes the story that much more interesting. Even though I liked--Hell, at times, even admired--Kaz, there were scenes I definitely wanted to cocksmack some sense into him. Jesper is addicted to gambling (and not very good at it), yet there are times when I identified with him. [The unfortunately-named] Nina is both powerful and limited, filled with intense love and hatred.

The way the story unfolds is masterful. Throughout the meaty book we are given bits of each protagonist's backstory. You get just enough to understand his/her motives, and the novel continues, and then later you get more on that character. This grants each character great depth and makes the reader more fully invested.

If you have room on your reading list this year, you should definitely give it to this book. You won't be sorry. 
___________________________________________________
THE ONE AND ONLY,
MAC III


Feeling generous? Want to help support a starving artist? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment