Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!

Y'all:

Right now I'm sitting in my apartment in Taiwan watching Krull. It's quarter past six and I'm trying to decide what I want to eat for dinner. My roommate is out of the country, so it's just lil' old me here. I decided I should come to my blog and post an update about me, not just the wonderful books I've been reading. So hold on to your butts, here comes my year in review!


2016 was an interesting year for me. I'm going to hit some of the highlights here. If you're my friend on Facebook, or if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, then you've already got a pretty good idea about how my year went.

I spent the entire year living and working in Taiwan, and only returned briefly to America to visit with family in the summer. I still haven't learned any Chinese worth speaking of, but I've survived another year as an expat. It's remarkable to me that I'm doing this, that I'm living and working in another country.

I love my job. I'm making shit money there--in fact, it's likely to ruin me financially--but my job is rewarding in other ways. It's a rare thing to find work a man doesn't dread doing. Instead of working for the weekend I find myself enjoying most of my days. I mean, certainly, I want my weekends and my time off, but I don't hate this job like I loathed the last one. It's quite refreshing.

I've been on a total of one date this year, and she turned out to be different from the way she acted when we chatted online. She was pretty dull, and she had expensive tastes. So, that's that then.

I participated in (and won) NaNoWriMo this year. I'm really quite proud of the story I worked on, Fleet, and I'm planning to share this one with some peeps before I get it ready to publish. It's a fun sci-fi story that I hope my MAColytes will all enjoy when it releases.

I still haven't finished M.A.I.D.S. [season 2]. I really need to get off my ass and do that, but I hit a creative wall while working on it.

I started writing for Radish (username: JCMAC3). My story, Danielle was Dead, hasn't really caught on yet. I took time off from working on it while I participated in NaNoWriMo, but it's back on the menu for me. I'm hoping that maybe this year will yield more readers.

My tabletop RPG, Fornever Role-Playing Game, is coming along nicely. I ended 2016 working on the first adventure module, rounding out my bestiary, and even playtesting some of my more recent changes (grappling is still problematic). It's funny, this time last year I was thinking about putting it on Kickstarter. The build of the rules I had ready then wasn't bad, but oh, what a difference a year makes! I've got high hopes for my game, so the extra work has been good.

My #52BooksIn52Weeks challenge didn't pan out quite how I'd hoped. I started off strong, but it dwindled at the end. No matter. I read 31 books in 2016. This year I'm getting my roommate in on the fun, so we can keep each other motivated and reading. It's a little sad that I have to gamify reading in order to keep at it, but in this busy world, where I have many divergent interests, it's a necessary part of things.

That's all I've got for now. I'll try to mix in more updates on this blog so that it's not all book-related. I hope everyone has a great 2017. The human race isn't a competition; there's room for us all in the winner's circle.
___________________________________________________
THE ONE AND ONLY,
MAC III


Feeling generous? Want to help support a starving artist? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment